Τhe holy Agathon


When he was about to die, the holy Agathon remained in his
bed motionless for three days, his eyes open and upturned towards heaven.
On the third day, when he recovered some, his disciples, who had assembled around him,
asked him to tell them where his soul was during all of that interval of time.

"Before the judgment of God," he murmured, trembling.

"And you are afraid, Father?" the brothers asked with perplexity.

"I tried, as best I could, to keep the laws of God all of my life.
But I am a man. How do I know that I have pleased God?"
the holy one responded with great pain.

"You are not sure that your works were pleasing to God?" said the astonished monks.

"Until I am before God, no," answered the holy one, "for man judges
with one standard and God with another."

The brothers wanted to ask other things for the benefit of their souls, but the holy one nodded to them not to speak any further.

"I am preoccupied," his lips whispered.

His countenance began to shine! His disciples saw him leave this vain world
for eternal life with the joy which one feels when he sets off to meet his most beloved acquaintance.

"The good Christian," says the wise Abba Nistheros, "must take account of himself
morning and evening and say: 'What, from all that God desires, did I do, and what did I neglect to do?'
Only in this manner will one succeed in conducting himself in accordance with the will of God."

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: