Coldness in Prayer? Saint Theophan says :

Many will blame the prayer or their prayer rule when they experience coldness in prayer.  Saint Theophan says, "If prayer is going poorly is not the fault of the prayer but the fault of the one who is praying." He points out that it is our haphazardness in our approach to prayer that is the most common problem.  For me, this occurs when I am in a hurry. I want to rush through my prayers so I can get on with a busy day.  When this happens my prayer become routine and my heart is cold in relation to the words of the prayer and it is no longer prayer.  It becomes simply another task for the day.

What do we do when we experience this coldness in prayer?  Saint Theophan says simply, "reprimand yourself and threaten yourself with Divine judgment."

When we are in a hurry we are making God secondary in our life.  Most of us spend very little time in prayer in relationship to all the other activities of our life.  We really do not have any excuse for trying to rush through our daily prayers.  We need to shame ourselves for this.  No one else can do this for us.  Our haste only leads to a compete waste of time. Prayer without feeling is not prayer.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: